4 Tips for Efficient Job Hunting Online 13 Comments

By Irina Shamaeva.

As a recruiter and a former candidate placed by recruiters, I often notice gaps in understanding the job search process between recruiters and job seekers. Here are a few helpful tips I’d like to share with job seekers.

job-wanted1

Where to Post Your Resume:
Statistics show that 75% of candidates post their resumes only on one job board. However, job boards charge us for resume access and for job posts. Some recruiters and smaller companies may buy only one job board membership, or none. To reach a wider audience and have more choices, (1) Post your resume on several job boards and also somewhere on the open web, to be found by Google, such as VisualCV or your blog or website.

How to Use Social Networks

Social Networks are making job boards less popular. Having an up-to-date profile on a network is safer for a job seeker: it doesn’t indicate to your employer that you are looking.

By all means create and fill out your profile on LinkedIn, “the” business social network. Make sure you fill out the experience sections for the last 2-3 positions. Please note that it may be hard for a recruiter to reach you on LinkedIn if you have a small network and do not participate in groups, and the recruiter does not have a paid LinkedIn account.  (2) Join relevant LinkedIn groups to see job posts and be more visible.

How to Research a Job Post
(3) If you see an interesting job post, paste a phrase into Google in quotation marks to find all recruiters (and often the employer) who have posted it. (Make sure you apply only through one channel: a recruiter, or directly. Multiple submissions may hurt you.)

Which Jobs to Apply For
Back in the dot-com times anyone with a resume had a chance. Now, companies are looking for the (recent!) relevant experience, with rare exceptions. (If you are open to relocation or open to learning a new skill, you may still be competing with people who already live there and have the skill.)

(4) The must-have section on a job description really means “must have”; apply only if you are an exact match.

Best of Luck! For more resources, check out my favorite site for job hunters, http://job-hunt.org/, with information carefully selected by its owner Susan Joyce.

About the Author: Irina Shamaeva is a Partner at Brain Gain Recruiting and a former Software Engineer and a Manager.  Connect with Irina on LinkedIn or Twitter.

About Jason Buss

Talent HQ’s creator and editor is Recruiting & Diversity Leader, Jason Buss. Talent HQ is a premier online news and information channel for the Recruiting and Human Resources community.

Tags: ,

• Posted on: Monday, March 15th, 2010
  • This Post Has 13 Comments

1. Jeff says:

Be careful with 3rd party recruiters. Most of them that I have dealt with just push candidates onto employers to get the interview or will string you along making you feel like they will find you a job but won’t (they do this is because maybe some day they will find something that fits). If you are good, you don’t have to worry about the latter.

2. Ken Murdock says:

Books have been written on this – but I think you 4 points should offer guidance to many people and they have crisp clear direction. Looks good.

Ken

3. Lori Jerkatis says:

Helpful tips! I network and search online a great deal and these pointers are helpful. Those in transition appreciate insight into the world behind the scenes. With the environment so competitive, clear meaningful tips are appreciated.

4. Bill Sagy says:

I think item # 3 is a great suggestion because I have had personal problems created by applying through a recruiter and then applying on the Company website. This is a major negative that will never get you hired at that company ever. Its like a Super Black list for some reason. This happened to me with Kia and an unnamed recruiter.

5. If you are a college graduate or early career professional you should also become a member at 1stGig.com. 1stGig.com has a revolutionary career matching system. It assists in finding careers not just jobs. 1stGiG.com uses a precision matching system to link interest, qualifications and career requirements with those of employers. When a match is made you are given an opportunity to speak with the company.

Finding a job much less the start of a career right out of college and even a few years after is difficult. 1stGig.com makes it easier.

6. I would also recommend doing couple of things – which I used successfully for my job search.

1) Writing your resume. The resume is a first impression of any professional to a recruiter. Hence, your picture as a candidate has to be published in a right way. You have to highlight your expertise areas, skills, job description, qualifications and objective. In a way – your resume should indicate which job exactly you are looking at. Get it verified OR beefed up through your friends OR colleagues (ex obviously).

2) Target Employer – In most cases, a good candidate knows where his kind of job will prevail. Hence, identify a list of target industries, companies within your geography. Then try to google out recruiters in that company. You can search for jobs of those companies and mostly you will find a recruiter name underneath it. You can always send your resume to him. State your intent of contact very clearly – and if you are really good in your area; they might just create a position for you OR at least keep in their database for future openings.

7. The good recruiters don’ t do that. You need to find one that you feel comfortable with and ask them how they work. Be specific and tell them how you would like to be represented. I always tell the candidate if I don’t have something for them.

8. Nikki says:

I agree – as an excellent recruiter – i get to know my candidates and treat them equally as i do with the clients. Communication is so very important both ends. My concerns is we all hear the candidates say i never heard back, my suggestion is PHONE or EMAIL the recruiter. I encourage my candidates to email me anytime or make contact if i havent called them I like to present candidates that are specifically suited to a role. I am about quality candidates and clients – not quantity. ! NIkki

9. There are some excellent comments here. Particularly like Sarangs comments.

10. [...] 4 Tips for Efficient Job Hunting Online. (As a recruiter and a former candidate placed by recruiters, I often notice gaps in understanding the job search process between recruiters and job seekers….) [...]

11. Nevil says:

These are some great tips for job hunting…I’ll add it to my blog as well.
      Thanks.

12. Reuben Lurie says:

12. Hi there, I’m new here in blogging website. And along my research I stumble in your blog. I actually like your write-up, sounds fascinating to me and i decided to try this at house.

13. [...] 4 Tips for Efficient Job Hunting Online: Irina Shamaeva brings a recruiter’s inside knowledge to tips for job-seekers. [...]